Livin' in the Vil'
Because the town population is around 30,000, Werne is considered a village. Everybody knows everybody, which can be really good when you need help but can also be really bad when you crave privacy! It's mainly elderly folks who are retired and relaxing but it's still a good make up of families. There aren't very many people my age out here but my housemates are 20+, so we kick it a lot. It's pretty laid back out here if I must comment and not much really goes on. There are usually annual festivals held in this town around this month (usually during the weekend) and
definitely in October. I've been out on the town a few times just to check it out and they have live music pumpin' (usually that techno ha ha!), are passing out drinks, and have food stands set up all over the place. I'm still buggin' out by the number of bicycles and the respect they get on the road. Bike riders wait at stop lights with traffic, make turn signals (with their hands of course) and are treated as vehicles. I don't know what the insurance rates are on bicycles but I wouldn't get in an accident if I were you! It's probably more bikes being rode out here than cars, at least in my town. And I'm not talking kids, I'm talking old folks too! Grandma and Grandpa are on their bikes going hard like Lance Armstrong. It's crazy to see but that's how I'm gonna be when I get old. No wheel
chairs or walkers for this dude! We do have a car to share as part of my deal but with the town being a village most everything is in walking distance. I haven't learned to drive a manual transmission so I think we have the only automatic in Germany. I am the proud owner of a 1998 Ford Windstar fully equipped with a tape deck but at least the AC/Heat works unlike the Nissan. Oh and a Windstar is a mini-van by the way...Gettin' my grub on...
This section is especially for my mother a.k.a. Ma Dukes. She's always asking "what did you eat?" or "what's the food like?" or my personal favorite,"send me some of what you had!" To answer all those questions, the food is different but if you know me then you know I'm going to find a way to some food! Groceries are very cheap and easy to find, just check the picture if you don't understand the word. The savvy shopper could make it on about 100 euros a month but everybody knows I'm doubling that with my appetite! The main delight over here, if I had to make a guess, would be the schnitzel. It's basically a fried boneless porkchop with a little extra love put into it. They can make it anyway you like chicken, pork, and sausage, with whatever sauce you want on top. They love some french fries too but Ma, I'm eating my vegetables, trust me...Pretty much all the food is the same you just have to know what it's called. Ordering food for the first time was disastrous but I still went home full. You know I had to get my fat man on ha ha! I've got it down to a science now and even know how to ask for certain things, tadow how ya like me now?!Game Time...
We have a cup game tonight which is separate from the league. There is a single elimination, country-wide playoff between all teams in their respective regions to determine a champion. So we have our league champion, which is the team with the best record at the end of the season and then a cup champion. We're playing against a team a league lower than us who are promising and hoping to make the leap one league higher. I'm apologizing in advice for turning their evening into shambles...We're off for a few weeks after this game, so this may be it for a minute on the posts. See ya when I see ya, peace...


1 comment:
Yeah, the schnitzels are pretty great, had them at a German resturaunt here in FL.... My mom likes it and has tried to make it but it bombed, but that's btw us. I'm glad you still got the phat man doing his thing....lmao.... thanks for the smiles...
Post a Comment